From: "John Mallinckrodt" <ajmallinckro@CSUPOMONA.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: Confused by a derivation.

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one making mistakes
although yours is, I think a little more subtle than mine!

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

While sitting in a doctor's office, I just formulated this hybrid
derivation - A lot of Gauss' law with superposition added to taste:
1) s1 + s2 = -s3 -s4 From the problem statement.
2) s2 = -s3 (Both Gaussian caps in conductors)
3) s1 = -s4 From 1) and 2)
4) E = s2/epsilon the field in the central region. (one cap in
conductor,
other cap in central region)
5} GL has told us that the field due to any single charge layer is
E=sigma/(2epsilon).
6) The field given in 4) is completely accounted for by the layers s2
and
s3.
7) Therefore the contributions of s1 and s4 to E must cancel in the
central region.

No. All that is required is that the combination of s1 and s4
serve to cancel any preexisting background field. See, for
instance, the sketches in my previous post.