From: Carl E. Mungan [mailto:mungan@USNA.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 1:51 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Confused by a derivation.

Michael Edmiston wrote:

I am looking at Tipler, 4th Ed. which is
what I am teaching from right now.

<snip> But on page 708 he also says... "However, the positive
surface charge density on the outside surface is not
disturbed - it is still
uniform - because it is shielded from the cavity by the conductor."

In case anyone does not have Tipler handy, what the text is referring
to here is a spherical shell which is overall charge neutral, but
inside of which there is a point charge Q at an off-center location.
The induced charge on the inside surface of the shell is -Q and is
nonuniform, being more dense nearer the charge, and the charge on the
outside of the shell must therefore be +Q but it *is* uniform. Why?

I have the exact sentence Michael refers to highlighted with a
notation next to it that it is a non sequitur. It simply does not
follow and cannot be proven from anything Tipler has said up to that
point or that a student could hope to guess.

In detail, here is a correct argument for why the outside surface
charge density is uniform:

1. Consider the following configuration A: a point charge +Q inside
the cavity and a net charge of -Q on the shell. What will happen? All
-Q will go to the inner surface and distribute itself (nonuniformly)
in just such a way as to make E zero inside the metal of the shell.
If we draw a Gaussian surface within the shell, it encloses the point
charge and inner surface, which must add up to zero charge since E is
zero everywhere on the Gaussian surface.

2. Consider the following configuration B: no charge in the cavity
and a net charge +Q on the shell. What will happen? All +Q will go to
the outer surface and distribute itself (uniformly) in just such a
way as to make E zero inside the metal. Again, a Gaussian surface in
the metal must enclose no charge. (Furthermore, we cannot even put -q
and +q at different places on the inner surface, even though this
also results in zero enclosed charge. The reason is that if we did
this, there would have to be field lines in the cavity, and if we
then integrated along a field line, we would find a potential
difference between these places on the surface, contradicting the
fact that the metal is an equipotential.)

3. Superpose configurations A and B. This is the desired
configuration of +Q in the cavity and zero net charge on the shell.
By uniqueness (of solutions to Laplace's equation), the resulting
charge distribution is the only possible charge distribution. But
this is just -Q nonuniform inside and +Q uniform outside. QED

That is, if the charge on the outside were *not* uniformly spread
over the surface, then the shell would *not* be an equipotential.
Proof by contradiction. Throwing terms like "shielding" around is
completely misleading, as Joel already pointed out. The student only
has to ask: What about the -Q charge (or any other charges) at
"infinity" (which must be there if the universe is to be charge
neutral and on which the field lines must ultimately end), doesn't it
mess up the "shielding"? I think this is why the inside of a cavity
is shielded from fields outside the cavity (in the usual Faraday cage
arrangement), but vice-versa is not true. Comments from anyone else?
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026