Re: Confused by a derivation.

Ditto, to what John said.

-----Original Message-----
From: John S. Denker [mailto:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 4:15 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Confused by a derivation.

"RAUBER, JOEL" wrote:

When you think in these terms, you find that conductors
don't such much
provide impenetrable barriers to E field, but rather
provide a source of
non-zero charge density that provides electric field that
superposes in a
"destructive" way with that of the sources (from which you
are presumably
shielding regions of space, e.g. with a Faraday cage).

I'm glad Joel agrees with me.
And I still agree with what I wrote.

But let me say that the point of view Michael E.
advocated is not really wrong; it's just a
different point of view.

In particular, if I underderstand where M.E. is going,
it winds up expressing the Maxwell equations in
terms of E and D and B and H, with a constituative
equation connected D to E, and another connecting
H to B. This is not wrong. Some people consider
it slightly old-fashioned. It simplifies certain
problems, but it complexifies certain others.
Whenever I get confused, I run home to the E and B
formulation (no D and no H) which is the way I was
taught. I recommend the E and B (only) approach,
especially for intro courses, but your mileage
may vary.