Re: Confused by a derivation.

Now bc is confusewd; see below

"Carl E. Mungan" wrote:

John D's comments, as usual, strike to the heart of the matter. Just
to summarize them in explicit detail, in case Ludwik or anyone else
is still confused.

Take a metal plate. Each side has area A. Put charge Q onto this
conductor. Let sigma be defined as s = Q/A.

Half the charge goes to either side:

+ + + + + +
===========
+ + + + + +

Each side thus has charge density s/2. Compute the fields everywhere
by superposing the fields (s/2)/(2*eps0) due to the infinite sheet
charge on each side. The result is zero inside the plate and s/2*eps0
outside each sheet. This is the standard textbook result for either
an insulating or a conducting plate.

Now bring a plate of the same dimensions with equal and opposite
charge -Q nearby. Consequently, all of the charge on each plate
redistributes to the internally facing surfaces:

===========
+++++++++++

-----------
===========

The charged sides now have charge density +/-s. We again superpose
the fields (+/-s)/(2*eps0) due to each of these two infinite sheet
charges. The result is s/eps0 between the two sheets and zero
everywhere else (ie. in the bulk of each plate and outside the
capacitor). This is again the standard textbook result.

All clear? Carl

not really Unless I'm missreading, you've changed the definition of G's
law. with + & - charges on their respective plates the charges reside
on the insides (except for fringing), as you wrote. Therefore, a G.
pillbox with flat sides in a conductor and between will enclose one
Q/area; the field will be (Q/area) / kappa sub zero. (no dielectric).
Not: "We again superpose the fields (+/-s)/(2*eps0) due to each of
these two infinite sheet charges."

If one uses two insulating sheets with + & - charges (respectively)
evenly distributed. A G pb enclosing both plates will "prove" no field
out side the plates. Adding two G pb's, each enclosing one plate only,
give again (Q/area) / kappa sub zero.

Now my ?. Why must one add the fields due to two insulating plates with
two G pb's, (very confortable w/ this) and not in the case of conducting
plates.

--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026