Re: Car acceleration

But, Herb, If you are not spinning your tires, then the velocity of the
tire WRT the road is zero.

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
Herb Schulz
I think that you are confusing STATIC friction with
MOVING friction here. STATIC friction occurs only when the
car's velocity is zero. In such conditions the friction
force direction cannot always be determined until after
a horizontal force is applied to the car. Static friction
is a kinda hindsight calculation that can be fully measured
only when it is no longer being applied.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where most of our physics textbooks ignore static friction)

On Sun, 03 Feb 2002 10:29:12 -0600 Herb Schulz <herbs@INTERACCESS.COM>