From: "Ludwik Kowalski" <kowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: Confused by a derivation.

The field inside the conducting plate is zero. For that reason
my expectation would be:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM__________
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
UPPER METALLIC PLATE (no field inside)
++++++++++++++++++++
v v v v v v v v v

v v v v v v v v v
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LOWER METALLIC PLATE (no field inside)
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM__________
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

What is wrong with this reasoning?
Ludwik Kowalski

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

... two layers of sigma in a capacitor reside on metallic
plates and each plate produces E"=sigma/eps_o.

No. Gauss' law shows that each layer produces sigma/(2*eps_o) on
each side of the layer. The result from the + layer looks like
this:

v v v v v v v v v

When the effect of the - layer is included we find that the field
between the plates is sigma/eps_o and elsewhere it is 0.