Re: Speed of Mechanical Wave

At 11:40 PM 2/2/02, you wrote:
Reminds me of the SciFi. story wherein the putative traitor instructed the
aliens to invade Earth at Mach 1 in their machines, knowing that the ten +
miles at an ~ constant speed of sound would be enuff to destroy them.

bc who was an avid SciFi reader in HS (early '50s)

The turncoat's motivation was not 'putative' from this direction:
though there was still a popular concern about the sound barrier at
the time. It's what we 'know' that hurts us!

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!