From: Shapiro, Mark [mailto:mshapiro@EXCHANGE.FULLERTON.EDU]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 12:41 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: FW: ASLA 02-03 CA May De-Emphasize Geoscience in High School

The following may be of interest to members of this list.

I am a member of AGU as well as APS and AAPT; however, I do
NOT agree with
the AGU position.

In my opinion, "a solid understanding" of the geosciences requires
understanding of the underlying physics, chemistry, and biology. The
long-standing practice of allowing high school students to
take a course in
a derivative science without any background in the
fundamental sciences was
ill-advised, in my opinion. The approach taken in the new California
standards should result in more understanding and less memorization.

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
http://irascibleprofessor.com