Re: Lab/lecture ratio

reminds me of the first law -- you get what you select for. Oooops not a bio.
list.

bc

Michael Bowen wrote:

At 11:34 2002/01/31, Joel Rauber wrote:
The salary
budgets somehow
seem to tighten even as our total enrollments (and,
theoretically, total
dollars from the state) increase.

Perhaps the extra dollars are more than consumed by increased administrative
FTE's

Apparently they do get eaten up somewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if
it were in administration. The administration crows about enrollment
increases, but refuses to hire more faculty and then complains when we must
cancel certain classes for lack of instructors (not for lack of students).
This makes me wonder whether we (faculty) should actually discourage
students from enrolling, which is not a heartening thought. The incentives
(and disincentives) of the current system seem to be working at cross-purposes.