Re: Physics Test and Integration

Working it 'down to the integral' will usually be sufficient to cover the
important Physics. I take this approach on tests. For homework, let them
do the integral (actually look them up in the CRC or similar tables of
integrals). The problem, which you will find, is that the students don't
know what an integral is, nor what it is good for, other than (perhaps) to
parrot back 'to find the area under the curve'. For example, the concept
that the integral can be used to sum the forces, fields, potentials from
continuous charge distributions is very difficult, even for students with 2
or 3 semesters of college calculus experience. You don't have to teach HOW
to do an integral, but you need to be prepared to teach HOW to set up an
integral for a physical situation!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--DYNAMIC CARTS now available.
CD-ROMs now available