Re: Sum of Infinite Series DCS#1J.11.20

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Trappe" <trappe@PHYSICS.UTEXAS.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: Sum of Infinite Series DCS#1J.11.20

The UTexas website for Lecture Demos is:
http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~phy-demo/

From that location you can click on Mechanics (1Axx.xx) and begin
scrolling
down to 1J11.20. A link will take you directly to this demo with a photo
of the 4 x 4's we use and an early drawing from UMinnesota.

However, I reommend that you go back to the UTexas homepage and search
several of the more complete websites (we cater primarily to offering the
PIRA 200 most commonly used demos, of which this is one). At the bottom
of
the UTexas webpage is a link to "demo resources at other univesities".

I know that one of the references in the PIRA Bibliography gives a full
explanation of the series, and its L/2N limit for step size when using N
blocks to set up the demo.

Karl,

I searched through all the sites I could reach in your demo resources at
other univesities (about 6 or 8 of them were dead ends). None had the
explanation of the series. The WFU site showed demo 1J11.21 which they
called Cantilevered Books.

Thanks anyway for your help and references. As always, when I ask one of my
dumb questions on this list I get far more information than I had hoped for.
I trust you and Denker can come to an amicable conclusion about arches.

Paul O. Johnson