Re: A game strategy. Weighing coins.

Typical! I didn't read the question carefully. (A habit learned in school.)

I though identifying the coin only was demanded. This may change all my
analyses, damn.

because all the others would be =. WRONG

That's why the tripan balance offers two methods; one where one begins by
putting 4 in each pan, the other three in each.

The first delays the inevitable non weighing (Still works)

The site: http://home.planet.nl/~faase009/Ha12coins.html

soln's are too complicated for me.

bc

Larry Smith wrote:

CB!

Naughty you -- you gave it away.

If I'm not in error, there are, at least, two algorithms for determining in
two trials (weighings).

An eleven pan balance would do it in one trial.

bc

If it were the 12th (unweighed) coin that was different, how would this one
weighing tell you if it were lighter or heavier than the rest?

Larry