Re: Whence Degeneracy Pressure?

Chris Horton wrote:
The challenge here is to first find an appropriate name for the "exclusion
principle force",

IMHO there is _not_ any urgent need to find names
for things like this.

Compare and contrast this with Dalton's law of partial pressure:
given a mixed gas we can speak of the partial pressure due
to helium-3, and the partial pressure due to HD molcules,
etc. etc. etc. But at the end of the day it's all just
pressure.

We cannot speak of degeneracy pressure as additive in
this way. It's just pressure. For fermions, the pressure
might be a little higher than a 19th-century physicist
would have expected, but it's just pressure. And it's
just due to the momentum and energy of the aforementioned
atoms and molecules. What's the big deal?

for within our Newtonian system such a force most
certainly does exist,

To speak of a Newtonian theory of degeneracy is a
contradiction in terms. Give it up. We don't live
in a Newtonian world. We live in a world governed
by the laws of quantum mechanics. Get used to it.