Re: Sum of Infinite Series

Paul,
I greatly respect and admire your willingness to call a response into question
for further inspection. I sometimes wonder who it is who writes notes to this
list over my name. Here is my best interpretation of the writer's intention.

If I write a decimal fraction like this
0.99999.... and ask you the limit, you will probably say, on sight: 1

If I write a binary fraction like this, and ask the same question:
0.111111.... you will likely conclude the limit is also 1.
That's the way of fractions in any base, for that matter.
People who were in computing long ago, became familiar with
binary, octal and hexadecimal.
The "translation" of a binary fraction 0.1111...
is one-half plus one-quarter plus one-eighth plus one-sixteenth ......

If I match a series 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 ... and a series
1/6 + 1/12 + 1/24....I can easily see that each term below is
one third the size of the corresponding term above, so
I treat the limits of the series by the same factor: limit one and limit 1/3

Now, if I massage a series 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/6 + 1/8 ....
to the form of 1 + 1/3 + 1/5 + 1/7.....

I can always match each term in the second series against a smaller
term in the first series. Specifically, I can see that the first term of the
second series is twice as big as the first term in the original series.

That implies that using the same process, I can create a third series
whose first term is twice as big at least, as the first term of the second
series. This is evidence for a series which increases without limit.

Now, to deal with my prejudice: I tried to stack books in an oblique stack
of constant step, and this limited quickly, unless I translated and rotated
each book. In this case I could continue the helical stack through two
editions of Enc Brit.
I hope I have made this amplification slightly less muddy

Brian W