Re: Student Evaluations

Student evaluations have to be respected, because the
students are "customers" and one should (to the extent
possible) satisfy the customers.
I do want to respect them - out of 20 students I saw this
comment 6 times. Most every other comment I saw once,
maybe twice.

You could take a poll. Ask each of your students:
| Is it your objective to learn something, or just
| to pass the course and move on?

Most are up front to begin with - I am only taking this
class because it is required? I want to pass "all I need is a
C" the course and move on.

and *none* of these purposes requires that the tests
cover every topic that was taught. Sampling does the
job nicely.

I really had not thought about the idea of sampling.

Oddball illogical complaints are guaranteed to show
up if the questionnaire is incomplete or poorly designed.
Remember, roughly half of the students are going to get
below-average grades.

With 6 "As" and 14"Bs" I felt I did a reasonable job of
evaluating what I said I would.

One obvious suggestion: Solicit feedback during the
term. Don't leave it all to the end.

I good idea - Thanks