Re: First EM lab

From: Brian Whatcott <inet@INTELLISYS.NET>

Seems like this old cynic from NooYork and this old cynic from Altus are
going to have to go along with the hints so far.
That an electric force is capable of lifting off a confetto at a particular
distance.

Rip up a piece of paper and see for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

We are to choose an inverse square law (assuming the point of a plastic
pen) rather than an inverse law for an expanse of Scotch tape.
And we have been given some suggestion about the likely charge density on
the complex starch of which we speak. I suppose we need to measure the mass
of the confetto - can it be more than 0.1 mg? My balances will not
directly measure
so small an item. Perhaps measure a toilet roll? That's just too indirect....

Can't you just estimate the piece of paper's mass?

Is the inverse square force law valid for all charged objects?

Cheers,
Joe

Due to my excessive teaching load, I cannot reply to email during the business day.

CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>
Please -- no Microsoft attachments. They're a security risk.