Re: Physics for Electricians

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Tina Fanetti wrote:

There is so much to cover I figure that I can just skip electricity.

You mean they've already had a physics course? In my experience in the
outside world, electronics engineers know just a little about electrical
physics, technicans know even less, and electricians know even less than
that... and all of them are full of questions.

If I was a student electrician, I'd want my physics course to concentrate
**ONLY** on electricity, and to finally answer my list of accumulated
questions which no other course examines.

Analogy: if you were teaching "physics for musicians", would you
carefully avoid teaching them anything about waves, acoustics, and
vibrating masses?

Electricians are like musicians: they've been taught how to "play the
instrument," but unless they've already had physics courses, you probably
can assume that their knowledge of electrical physics is entirely lacking,
and their curiosity about it is enormous.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L