Re: Call for Discussion: AAPT NDSL proposal

Dr. MacIsaac!

I pray you use the term (profit) not in the usual sense.

bc

AAPT is a 501(c)(3) non profit?

Touche' Please call me Dan; you rattle me otherwise. How about this:

The income stream from TPT needs to continue uninterrupted to our nonprofit
association, and if we have more users of the journals, then the income stream
should grow to reflect this, but not necessarily linearly. We set electronic
licensing prices carefully to cover all associated costs of digitizing,
serving and maintaining the TPT archive (I'd pay AIP to do this as
they do for all of the APS journals like PRL, PRA-E etc through the
OJPS archive at <http://ojps.aip.org/> -- this is what they do) PLUS
anticipated losses of subscriptions due to the electronic access. AAPT
might even choose to embargo the last 2 years from the freely accessible
database to protect TPT subscription income. I would allow only working
science teacher-faculty free access; students interested could go through
their teachers or pay a per-article fee or get a subscription. We move
from a selling magazine subscriptions to a selling database access model,
as AIP/APS is now doing.

I actually think TPT brings in some considerable income, though not as much
as AJP. The problem would be with library subscriptions. I have not done
a cost analysis and have no idea whether this is feasible within an NDSL
proposal budget. This is brainstorming right now, and I know what I'd like
to see happen given infinite funding. I'd also like to see TPT contribute
more to the Association's bottom line; this does that.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner