Re: motion sensors

Carl Mungan writes:

a simple experiment I do early on is have the students
drop a tennis ball onto a motion sensor to determine g and students
often have trouble getting good data. But smoother balls are usually
harder - do folks protect their sensors from impacts? We often use a
grille on a frame boxing the sensor but I suspect these introduce
some noise. (Or students can catch the ball at the last minute but
they are often not coordinated to do this without disturbing the beam
earlier.)

We point the motion sensor at the floor and drop the balls from a point
under the sensor, which means we can drop everything from ping pong balls to
basketballs without worrying about damage to the sensor. Repeated bounces
can be used to obtain a coefficient of restitution. We've not had
significant problems with detecting tennis balls - our biggest problem is
that they tend to bounce out of the beam.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in
having the ability to learn from the
experience of others, are also remarkable
for their apparent disinclination to do
so." -Douglas Adams
George Spagna
Department of Physics