Call for Discussion: AAPT NDSL proposal

I will certainly second Dan's ideas, but I would also suggest that some
effort be made to mine or link some of the state archives that already
exist. For example there is Virginia's Community of Learning
(http://www.virginialearning.org/index3.html if you want to skip the intro
otherwise http://www.virginialearning.org) . VCOL is the outgrowth of VAPEN
where Tony Wayne, Fred Hoffman and others built a solid collection of
Physics materials. I have no experience with other states but I imagine
that other states must have similar resources. The material would be useful
especially to beginning teachers.

THO

Thomas O'Neill
o'neill@csvrgs.k12.va.us
Physics
oneill@csvrgs.k12.va.us
C Shenandoah Valley R Governor's School 540.245.5088

We are interested in knowing how the physics and astronomy
education community views such an effort and what they think
should be the emphasis of this first proposal. We hope this
proposal will form the framework for the Physics and
Astronomy Digital Resources for Education (PADRE) effort that
other educators can then connect to with their own proposal
either this year, or in future years. We see this as building a
number of different communities and providing resources that
can be accessed depending on the needs of the user (high school
teacher, college teacher, elementary teacher, student, or the
public).

We expect that NSF funds will be available to support this effort
for a number of years and we are trying to put something in
place that the rest of the physics and astronomy education
community can contribute to on an ongoing basis. We see
PADRE not only as a resource, but a place educators can submit
digital educational materials for peer review, not unlike
MERLOT is currently doing. We plan on cooperating with
MERLOT in this effort.