Re: Science fiction or a wrong model again.

Once one has electrons in a vacuum (ignore the oxymoron) the only resistance
is its mass. No collisions, as with "ordinary" conductors, and no crit. B, as
with superconductors.

Vacuum's insulating character has as much to do with the conductor's, e.g. a
hot thoriated W filament isn't insulated by a vacuum. High pressure freon is
a much better insulator (e.g. for Van de Graaffs)

Only somewhat persistent (like unique?, is persistent or it isn't), but
similar -- a betatron. How about a cyclotron for the + current?

bc

P.s. Is the crit. I/cm^2 due to its B, or are they separate effects?

Larry Woolf wrote:

I would say that a vacuum is a pretty good insulator, not semiconductor. No
free carrier density in a vacuum.

Also, a superconductor has a critical temperature, a critical current
Density, and a critical magnetic field, which is generally considered to be
Hc2 since most commercially used superconducting wires are made of Type 2
superconductors. For magnetic fields greater than Hc2, there are no more
superconducting regions in the material.

By the way, some of you may be interested in knowing that Richard Hake did
some of the major early work on high field superconductors before he became
an physics education researcher.

Larry Woolf; General Atomics; 3550 General Atomics Court, San Diego, CA
92121; Phone:858-455-4475; FAX:858-455-4268; http://www.sci-ed-ga.org