Re: Park City Paradox ?

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Robert Cohen wrote:

Aren't you saying the same thing I was saying?

I don't think so, but I'm willing to concede that it may be a
minor point.

We agree that no separation is observed when the two electrons move side by
side at v=c?

Essentially, yes. (I would say that we agree that *if* electrons
could move at the speed of light, no separation would be observed.
The fact remains that electrons cannot move at the speed of
light.)

Saying that this is because "time stops" or "the magnetic
field counters the electric field" or "the information can't
catch up" -- aren't these the same?

Well, no. I don't see that these are the same at all. They *are*
different ways of reaching the same conclusion. But I think the
"information can't catch up" view is problematic for at least a
couple of reasons:

1) It doesn't allow for a quantitative analysis except in the
one case (v = c) that doesn't occur.

2) It seems to imply that the electron *does* get the information
in some frames, *doesn't* in others, and, I suppose, gets some,
but not all of it in others. IMO, this is a distasteful
conceptual framework.