Re: Effective HS Physics (was Statistics / more ...)

Dan, please give us the reference to Sadler's article.

Jon

At 09:16 PM 1/2/02, Dan MacIsaac wrote:

If you are looking to predict success
in college physics, look for whether the HS physics teacher used no text.
(after Sadler's recent _science education_ article)
Dan M

Dan MacIsaac

I hope that if one party mentions a non-PC predictor of academic success
(IQ)
and another party responds with a PC predictor of academic success (SES)
then a reasonably conscious third party may see a statistical connection
between the two measures.
Moreover: what red-blooded American could be against socio-economic
status? And a relevant question: Is SES normally distributed?

But I really hoped someone would pick up on your no textbook proposition -
it is so intuitively appealing. The *next* time someone asks for a
physics book recommendation (an almost monthly event, I sometimes think:)
I hunger to read that someone is advising:
- "dump it in the round file: list the physics topics you have something
interesting to talk about - and go for it!"

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!