From: phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu]On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 9:51 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Effective HS Physics (was Statistics / more ...)

I think John has touched on the missing factor, desire or enthusiasm
(attitude). I think the tests would generally predict success
when coupled
with a means of measuring "ganas."

(http://usuarios.iponet.es/casinada/06ganas.htm)

My experience is a good example of the failure of the Thurstone
Aptitude test:

Q 28, L 98, All first students required to take (along with
Subject A in 1955
UCSB). The dept. expected me to fail the first midterm and quit
Physics --
didn't and managed to get the top grade on the final.

bc

John Clement wrote:

According to my references the Binet-Simon 1905 was credited as
being the
first "modern" test designed to predict performance. 1916
Stanford-Binet,

cut

David Meltzer has shown that some math tests have some
predictive value, but
again individual student effort and attitudes can have a big
effect. VASS
is measuring attitude, while the Lawson test is measuring
thinking skills.
My data seems to show that the Lawson test puts a very strong limit on
achieving gain on some of the conceptual tests. While a good
attitude can
push the student to achieve the limit, it seems that they can
not achieve
more within the parameters of my course.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

cut