Re: B and electric charge

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Jack asked (his full message is shown below again)

OK, so the force law gives the constant in terms of C. So I
need a measure of C that is independent of the force law.
Did I miss something?

You are assuming (as most textbook authors) that A is known
before C. In that case k is not used to define C, it must come
from a measurement (because all other units in the force law
already exist). In the sequence I plan to follow this spring the
Coulomb's law first appears as a proportionality equation.
How else can it be when Q has no units? The "fudge factor",
~9,000,000,000 will be then introduced to define coulomb.

I don't understand your answer. My question stands on its own,
and contains no such assumptions. You use the force law to define C.
Your construction must go something like this: I have a set of charges.
I pick a standard charge, which enables me to define equal charges (2
charges that have the same repulsive force from the standard, at the
same distance). Now I pick a "fudge factor", let's make it 25. Now
I have a definition of "Coulomb".
Let's go in baby steps, and this is step 1. Am I with you so
far? Importantly (using your words) the size of the fudge factor is
arbitrary.
Regards,
Jack