Re: Statistics / more compare & contrast

Not In Our Genes is another book from the same ideological perspective. (The
authors -- Lewontin, Rose, and Kamin are in the same collectives as Gould --
either Dialectics of Biology and/or the Campaign against Racism, I.Q., and the
Class society.

bc

"Daniel L. MacIsaac" wrote:

It is not PC to mention it, but an important predictor of
academic test results is that old faithful, the IQ measure.
This measure is designed to be normally distributed.
A high school may expect to see student results in general that are
reasonably normal, even if test results are not 'marked on a curve'
[i.e. transformed to a normal distribution] for this reason alone.

Brian:

Check out Gould's book "The Mismeasure of Man" IQ is a very cooked statistic
(as you say, "designed" for statistical reliability), but after reading
Gould's book I rather believe it measures very little about actual
intelligence (whatever that means). If you really want an indicator for
predicting student success, try SES. If you are looking to predict success
in college physics, look for whether the HS physics teacher used no text.
(after Sadler's recent _science education_ article)
Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner