Re: grading schemes

At 12:48 21 12 2001 , you wrote:
I have only been teaching two years, and my remarks may be premature.
Regarding demonstrating, there is a golly gee wiz Mr Wizard that can wake up
students. It can even impress them. Sadly, it does not teach much. It
entertains. My students have to get there hands on things and struggle with
them to learn concepts.

I wonder if we are missing one of the great benefits of the likes of
demos: It is well known that in teaching things as intensive as physics,
the students need a time to download what is in their temporary brain
space to somewhere more permanent. Because of the frequency of TV
commercials I feel that this should be done every 7 min of so. IE one
should change something in the lecture every 7 min or their mind will go
numb. A little demo of sorts is a very helpful interjection in this
regard. Their brains download and then one can continue with the
physics. PER people can give a further tutorial.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen