From: "Carl E. Mungan" <mungan@USNA.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: pseudowork

A motionless box of mass m is dropped from an infinitesimal
(ignorable) height onto a rapidly moving conveyor belt.

Let the 'system' be the box.... describe the gain in KE
that the box undergoes.

This example is discussed in Sherwood's paper and/or Mallinckrodt's
paper. Just to review:

Assume belt is horizontal. Apply work-kinetic-energy theorem:

pseudowork = uk*m*g*s where uk is the coefficient of kinetic friction
and s is the horizontal distance it has moved in the lab frame from
the drop point (assuming it has not yet reached the belt's speed)

change in KE = m*v^2/2 relative to lab

Equating enables us to relate v to s. You can then relate s and v in
the lab frame to s' and v' in the belt's frame if that's what you
wanted. If you want to know what happens after it stops slipping
relative to the belt, it will depend on whether the belt is
accelerating or not. (After all, there is an equal and opposite force
uk*m*g backward on the belt and the belt motor may or may not be able
to compensate for this.)

Notice that I have *not* done any thermo above. The other half of
this problem, which you did not ask for, concerns the fact that the
block and belt warm up. Calculating this for say the block alone will
require that you give me a model for the frictional interaction and
for the thermal conduction. In most realistic models (ie. where the
block is not taken to be a single particle), you will find that the
work on the block is not equal to the pseudowork calculated above.
(John D gave a few examples of models, and there are many others.)
The difference comes about because the first law has a change in
internal energy on the RHS, while the work-energy theorem used above
does not. (Some people would say that the work-energy theorem cannot
be applied if you use a non-particle model for the block but I
disagree. However, this seems to have degenerated into a childish
argument.)
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026