Re: Magnetic N and S poles

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

But, Ludwik, you did not say whether in that 1943 edition
there is a chapter "Electromagnetism" in which the qvB force
is uttered - I guess you did imply that it was not used as a
definition of B. Correct?

The names of chapters, in the 1943 edition of Lemon and Ference
textbook, are shown below. The H and its unit oersted are defined
in Chapter 19. They are not redefined in Chapter 21, or anywhere
else, as far as I can see.

The formula F=H*I*L=B*I*L is derived in Chapter 21 (Section
276 named Ampere's Law) and the illustration display the proper
orientations three vectors. But no attempt is made to redefine H
or B. The concept of the probe magnetic pole, m, is used in the
derivation of the above formula (via Newton's 3rd Law).

The total length of this introductory textbook (used at the
University of Chicago) is 573 pages. Electric chapters are from
page 239 to page 410. I like the pedagogy of this textbook.

Chapter 19: Magnetostatics
Chapter 20: Electrostatics
Chapter 21: Electromagnetism.
Chapter 22: Ohm's Law
Chapter 23: Liquid Conductors and Batteries
Chapter 24: Circuit Theory
Chapter 25: DC Instruments
Chapter 26: Thermoelectricity
Chapter 27: Electromagnetic Induction
Chapter 28: Magnetic Properties of Iron
Chapter 29: DC Motors and Generators
Chapter 30: Alternating Currents
Chapter 31: Electric Measurements for AC
Chapter 32: Conduction Through Gasses
Chapter 33: Thermoionic Emission and Electron Tubes
Ludwik Kowalski