From: "Ludwik Kowalski" <kowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: Magnetic N and S poles

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

... I have actually quoted [see below] from the smaller sized 1956
edition (a third author - Stephenson - was added by then). I would
appreciate hearing from any owner of the 1943 edition whether
what I have quoted from the later edition incorporated any
changes from the 1943 printing.

Bob's quotations showed that the F=q*(v x B) formula was
used in the 3rd edition to define B. I am now looking into the
first edition of this book; it is very different in that respect.
The chapter on magnetostatics is before the chapter on
electrostatics. Here the unit of H, oersted, is defined as dyne
per unit pole.