Re: grading schemes

I prefer to give smaller exams (4-5 problems and essays), using a
traditional point system leaves the student with a poor grade if even one
problem does not go well.

Grading scheme I use to fix this is as follows:

test essays and problems are rated on a scaled of 0 - 5. Five is perfect,
Four is a B and so forth.

The formula I use is:

(raw points/#prob)*10+50

This rates a student's average performance per problem and allows a student
to do poorly on a problem without harsh penalty. This scheme has produced
nice distributions (it is difficult to get an A or an F).

My wife has used it successfully with her freshman classes. She counts 5
multiple choice questions as one problem.

Scott

PS: Standing school policy is not to give a grade less than 50% without a
petition to the headmaster.