Re: Costs of textbooks

A few years ago I collected data from some members of this list,
and wrote up a semi-scientific analysis of the costs of physics
textbooks (intermediate level) since 1960. It's on the web at:

http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/bookprices.html

When you adjust for inflation (U.S. consumer price index), the
prices are essentially unchanged from 1960 until the early
1980's. Since then they've risen a little over 50%.

Dan

My Panofsky and Phillips was $9.75 (ca. 1961) and Jenkins and White $8.50 (ca.
1959). The only common costs (that I can think of) that have increased more
than 10X are medical and housing.