Re: taking notes

Panzers to John!

I have a book of notes taken by students for a "new" course.

Orear, Rosnefield, and Schulter, Nuclear Physics (Course given by Fermi, Chicago
'49)

and another collection of notes, some of which appear to have been taken by
students. Course in Nuclear Physics for Engineers (Rad. Lab. '46)

bc

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I've heard of another reason for taking notes: even if one doesn't read them
later, the info. will more likely be remembered, because of the act of writing
(in addition to hearing) -- is this true?

:-) Anyone who says this is true is wrong.
:-) Anyone who says this is not true is wrong.

Seriously: It depends on the student.

cut ---

Let's move now from the advantage of the note-taking _act_
to the advantage of later having good notes to look at.
That's a different subject entirely.

If there is no textbook, for instance the first time
some great wizard gives a course in a new subject, then
having good notes is very valuable. On several occasions
where I've been in such a situation, we recruited some
of our fellow students to take notes and distribute them.

This was very highly organized: There were three students,
selected for their clear handwriting. They operated
as a tag-team. Each was responsible for one
out of every three chalkboards of material. Later they
would collate the three streams, get clarification from
the professor on questionable points, and then make copies
for everybody.

cut