Costs of textbooks

The cost of textbooks is worrisome to me. We had a lecturer plan to use
one of the major textbooks, in the multi-paperback version, and the cost
was quoted as nearly $200 (for students). I stepped in and contacted the
rep, saying we wouldn't adopt it at that price. They eventually gave us a
special deal, dropping the price by 1/3 - still expensive.

Everyone should look at a good but inexpensive electronic-or-printed
textbook at http://www.physics2000.com, if you haven't done so yet. There
are samples of the physics text, plus a free calculus text. This is the
sort of approach we need to encourage.

Laurent Hodges