Re: Teaching over the Internet

Rick Tarara wrote:

I've talked to teachers at meetings who have tried Web or CD based texts and
they say that students are even more resistant to using these than their
printed books (and we all know how well those are read). One would think
that with all the enhancements--integrated animations, simulations,
video--that these would really be attractive to students, but from my small
and unscientific sampling, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I am also very reluctant to start using the content
provided by publishers. So far I was using Blackboard
(and WebCT last year) for quizzes and the course list.
In other words, I was using empty courses and developed
my own textbook-based multiple choice quizzes, as needed.
They are of the open-book nature and students take
them over the Internet. A quiz must be taken during a
specified time period, for example, before the next
class. My quizzes are very easy; this semester they
will contribute 20% to the final grade. That is
sufficient to provide motivation for learning on time.
Quizzes help to synchronize personal studying with
what is going in a class, or in a lab. A class list
is like phys-L; every student is a subscriber.
Ludwik Kowalski