Re: - C14 Decay rates

At 12:51 AM 12/11/01, Jim Green wrote:

>If you perform electrolysis on a liter of tap water, by time you get
>down to 35 mL remaining you theoretically should have nearly pure H-2
>H20 (or D2O). It should have a mass substantially greater than 35
>grams;

This is an interesting statement: Does this mean that tap water is 3.5%
D2O by volume??? It must be late at night and I am missing something.
/snipped the remaining topics/
Jim Green

It helps to know that the relevant electrolytic separation efficiency is a
little
better than 97% and the ambient isotope ratio is about 1:7000.

What is the remaining mass when 1 kilogram of tap water is electrolytically
reduced to 99.95% D2O, for these assumptions?

This looks like an amusing puzzle to me!

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!