Re: When and how did the compass directions originate? Which way is North ?

This was not offered in terms of the concept of north but in response to a
question about how desert people may have used stars to navigate.
Mechanical calculators like this obviously come a long time after people had
the basics but these were made so that non-scientists could use the
astronomy to calculate directions. This is sort of like what the new GPS
receivers let lay persons do now that formerly took a lot of training to
figure out.

JAB

> ... there exist some instruments
> ... designed to set pointers to stars and the date and
> calculate which way Moslems have to face to be praying
> toward Mecca.

This is misleading, in the same way that the earlier
note citing William Gilbert was misleading.

If somebody asks "when did frogs evolve" and I answer
that I saw a frog last Thursday, my statement is not
wrong but it doesn't contribute much toward answering
the question.

The Moslem era is 1422 years old. Knowledge of which
way is north is older than that. Much, much older.