Re: Mathematical name of curved triangle

At 21:30 -0600 12/5/01, Paul O. Johnson wrote:

In writing the sign for this exhibit, I found that I do not know the
mathematical name for this curved triangle. I feel there must be such a
name, mathematicians name every conceivable geometric figure. Can anyone
help me with this?

I don't remember the name, either, but if no one else on the list
comes up with it, check the Scientific American index. The had a
rather extensive article about shapes of constant diameter some years
back. If I recall correctly, it was in the mathematical recreations
column when Martin Gardner was doing it, but it may have been in the
Amateur Scientist column. I'm pretty sure it was one or the other,
and it was probably around thirty years ago, give or take a few years.

The thing that impressed me at the time was their mention that the
Navy used circular templates in the submarine shipyards to check to
make sure that the submarine hulls were really round and not
inadvertently some other shape of constant diameter that would not be
able to withstand the water pressure at extreme depths.

Good luck.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell