Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 9:52 PM
Subject: Re: test problem

To perhaps clarify further aspects of this type problem:
As before, let x = the mass position as measured (up is positive) from the relaxed spring position.
Let x=-a (a will be positive) be the equilibrium position for the hanging mass, so that ka=mg.
Let y = the mass position as measured (up is positive) from this (x=-a) equilibrium position, so that y = x + a.

Then N2 gives for the DE of motion:

mx'' = -k*x - mg  ; Now substitute x = y-a  =>

my'' = -k*y + k*a -mg  ; Now use ka = mg  =>

my'' = -k*y  => SHM about the point y=0 (x=-a)

Note also that the "pseudo" elastic PE of this y oscillation is:

.5 K*y^2 = .5 k*x^2 + .5*k*a^2 + kax ; Now use ka=mg  =>

,5k*y^2 = .5k*x^2 +.5 m*g*(x+a)

This is the "true" elastic PE PLUS the gravitational PE measured from x= -a !

IE: You can use the "pseudo" elastic PE as the TOTAL system PE (Cuz it is so, numerically, if the arbitrary zero of gravitational PE is properly chosen).

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
www.velocity.net/~trebor