From: "Chuck Britton" <britton@NCSSM.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: Density of water.

but what about the substantial geothermal energy.
I suspect that it is QUITE enough to keep things 'stirred up' and not
totally freezing.
Perhaps have NO ocean ice at ALL!

At 8:06 AM -0500 on 12/3/01, Rick Tarara wrote
But once the whole body of water has cooled and mixed to a nice uniform
0.1
degree C and then cools a little more----one big ice cube! Somewhat
devastating to temperate (and artic) zone aquatic life and therefore to
the
diversity of aquatic life, but unless one can cite evidence of sustained
sub
zero global temperatures during the past 2 billion years, then life
itself
is not necessarily threatened.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--DYNAMIC CARTS now available.
CD-ROMs now available