Re: Density of water.

At 12:25 PM 12/2/01, Jim Green wrote:
At 23:51 01 12 2001 , Bernard C wrote:
>Right, Hewitt plots (ordinate) the volume of one gram of water instead
of the
>inverse. No matter, he's plotting water not ice. Ice (normal near zero C
>[ice I]) 917 kg / m^3 or sg ~ .92 Water @ 100 C is 1.04 mL / g or sg
0.96 So
>ice floats as per your experience (and mine).

Bernard, you seem to be missing the essential point -- the fact
that makes life possible! Water at freezing is less dense than water at
4C therefore water freezes on the _surface_ of the body of water.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen

This gee whiz item is a favorite of the divine design folks.

If water density uniformly decreased above freezing point,
it would cool at the surface of cooler air as usual - and becoming denser
when cooler then sink, until it reached it reached its density level.
Relatively warmer water at the bottom would rise, and so I suppose,
there might be a vigorous circulation while a temperature gradient exists.
And quite possibly on significant bodies of water, there would always be a
gradient, and a circulation, so that icing would be postponed perhaps
banished from significant bodies of water....

This does not seem specially lethal to life, when I consider the life that
thrives
in sulphide springs at great depths.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!