Re: non-vectors

1) The name vector is applied to objects that exhibit certain
invariances with respect to certain transformations.
-- The magnitude of a vector is invariant under rotation.
-- Ditto for reflection.
-- The direction of one vector relative to another is
invariant under rotation.
-- Ditto for reflection.

I'm not entirely sure a geometer would totally agree with this. I recall
sitting in on a differential geometry class where in one of the early
lectures the professor asked what a vector is and how we represent it in
physics. I basically mentioned magnitude and direction and representation
by an arrow. He was quite happy and launched into a discussion (details of
which I forget) on how glad he was, despite my being a physics student, that
I hadn't talked about defining it in terms of transformation properties.

IMO little is lost, at least to the undergraduate curriculum to discussing
it in those terms for the advanced course.

2) The name pseudovector is applied to objects that exhibit
certain invariances with respect to certain transformations.
Pseudovectors behave the same under rotation but change sign
under reflection.

Vectors (and pseudovectors) in D=3 space can be represented
by an array of three numbers. The converse is not true; not
every array of three numbers is a vector. It could just be
a shopping list, with no particular transformation properties.