Re: PHYS-L Digest - 30 Nov 2001 to 1 Dec 2001 (#2001-473)

At 09:36 PM 12/1/01, E C Muehleison wrote:
/snip/
The density of water increases to a maximum at about 4 degrees Celsius.

Yes

As
the temperature continues to decrease, the density decreases.

yes

Hence ice
floats in water.

No. Ice does float in water - but it is not a consequence of the thermal
cubic expansivity of liquid water, which is 2.1E-4 per Kelvin above 4 degC
and a similar negative quantity between 0 and 4 degC.
The relative density of ice is 0.92 which represents the step increase of
volume at freezing - whereby your water pipes split

However, if one believes the volume versus temperature curve
as shown in Hewitt, then one must believe that the density of hot (above 20
degrees celsius) is less than that of ice.

I don't have Hewitt: I assume his graph depicts the density variations of
liquid water, which as I mentioned, are rather modest compared with the
freezing density discontinuity.

Why, then, does ice float in very
hot, nearly boiling, water?

Because it is less dense than boiling water.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!