Re: electrical question

Is there a means of discriminating such a bump from a load increase?

bc

Brian Whatcott wrote:

At 05:01 PM 11/30/01, you wrote:
Someone on the "madsci" service asked this question:

I am under the impression that the wests electrical power grid is many
power plants feeding power into a centralized grid for distribution to
any place on that grid. I want to know how they kept the alternating
current from all the different sources in phase with each other. I have
heard that today it is done with a master sync signal from satelites to
each power generating station. Is that true and how did they used to
sync them pre-satelites?

This one is interesting. What does happen when you connect *two* simple
AC generators to the same load resistor? Wouldn't they automatically lock
into sync, maybe after a brief transient? I assume that if the initial
phase difference was wrong, one of them would be driven as a motor until
it drifted to the correct relationship.

WHen dealing with multi-generator grids, maybe nobody needs to
intentionally synchronize an extra AC generator except initially?

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L

I read that there can be a big bump if the phase of the generator being
brought on line
is not a reasonable phase match to the grid

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!