From: Larry Cartwright [mailto:exit60@CABLESPEED.COM]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 9:39 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: High School Textbooks

I headed up the selection of a text for my HS in 2000. We wound up
going with Holt's Serway & Faughn text. Had I been planning on staying
there for a few years, I would have fought to the death for Prentice
Hall's algebra-based Giancoli text. I consider that a "junior college
level" publication which is IMHO a cut above the Holt book, and suitable
for our run-of-the-mill pretty good students, not just the physics and
engineering geeks.

Prentice Hall's Wilson & Buffa text is also a nice piece of work, and
again I think it is a "junior college level" offering.

The trick as far as I can see is getting Prentice Hall to even talk to
you. There I was, waving 5000 bucks at them, and they wouldn't return
my messages.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright <exit60@cablespeed.com>
Retired (June 2001) Physics Teacher
Charlotte MI 48813 USA

Tony Wayne wrote:

We are in the process of adopting new high school physics textbooks. So
far,
for high school level, I have only 2 books; one by HOLT and one by
Merrill.
Does anyone else know of any other publishers and authors of a high school
textbook?
-Tony

PS I realize we could use a college physics textbook. -And we do for our
upper level physics classes. It is the other courses that I'm concerned
about.