Re: Black Holes and tidal forces

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard Cleyet" <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: Black Holes and tidal forces

I know you're stuck -- demand adequate prerequisites for your classes
and
lose so many students you're out of a job, or ....

Can you convince the admin. that fewer are better?

bc

I could interject some politics here ......

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Algebra? You must be kidding. The class I am teaching this in can
b=
arely add numbers. =20
I am having trouble with my calc students to. I just did the chain
r=
ule and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Man, what are math departments doing????

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

The math dept. is wondering why the students can't read since one can't
learn much math without being able to read. Moreover, to steal a page
from S. Harris, they were still saying, " I thought we didn't have to
learn chain rule," when I retired. (I have taught in one math dept.
and three chemical engineering departments --- thermodynamics in two out
of the three chemical engineering depts. and in one of the two ---
thermodynamics for non-chemical engineers, mostly electrical engineering
students in a Sleazy Little Diploma Mill in Upstate New York, as I
agreed to call my painful four years working for peanuts -- not that I
ever paid much attention to money always having enough except for two or
three years dragging a drum set around New York after digesting my three
Drake's Oatmeal Cookies per day nutritional allowance. Cost: ten
cents per day.)

Regards / T

And with that he closed his computer :-) to the relief of the
compulsive finishers around here, I.a., those who had to wade through
Tom's scatterbrained digressions because they read everything. "God
bless you every one."