Re: ENERGY WITH Q

I hope he will continue contributing to this interesting debate.

Thanks, but now I've said my piece for the day. Let's hear from some
others. The following is intended sincerely. Please do not take it as
a booby trap.

Several people on this list have suggested alternate forms of the
first law of thermodynamics. I would like to call on these folks to
make up and post an introductory-level homework problem that could
*best* be done using their alternate form. If possible, include
numerical values and make us calculate something. The only constraint
is that if your form of the first law has "X" in it (eg. thermal
energy) that the problem not specifically ask us to calculate X. It
may use X to get at something else, but shouldn't artificially force
us to use X just because of how the problem is worded.

For my part, I commit myself not to searching for loopholes or
elaborate alternate solutions.

As I said, the above is really meant sincerely. I have carefully read
everyone's web page. But now I need an actual problem to make things
concrete. Unlike some others on this list, I am *willing* to adopt
alternate names and notations in cases where they are best. I do not
run out of the room with my fingers in my ears when certain code
words are mentioned. Am I the only one who has altered the things I
teach in very definite ways because of ideas I have learned from
others on this list?
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026