From: Brian Whatcott [mailto:inet@INTELLISYS.NET]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 1:46 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: MATH PHYSICS

Brian W

At 09:15 AM 11/27/01, you wrote:
You're missing low velocity viscous drag, as used in analyzing the
Millikan oil-drop experiment. See chapter 12 of "The Mechanical Universe"
(standard edition).
Regards,
Jack

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Brian Whatcott wrote:

David Abineri wrote:

If one assumes that a projectile encounters an air resistance
proportional to velocity, one can write a differential equation like
mr''=-mgj - kr' which can be solved for r using an integrating
factor
e^(kt/m).

The final solution for r, however, does not admit an interpretation
for
k=0. Why is it that one does not get the ideal case to come from
this
more general case when k=0?

I hope that the question makes sense.

Not to me. The assumption is unphysical, in my view.
Cd is proportional to V^2 ??
What am I missing, would you say?

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!