Re: ENERGY WITH Q

Yes, neither Q nor W, in the dU=Q+W, is energies. But Q in
calorimetry, according to textbooks, is a change in thermal
energy (either added or removed from a body). That is why
we need a separate word for Q in thermodynamics. Just like
some people already distinguish between work and
pseudowork.

Leigh Palmer, an I think Bob Rohmer, and certainly I and others have been
saying for years that the textbooks are _wrong_! Why on Earth would anyone
want to concede anything to them?_

Personally, I prefer call F*ds work and reserve the word
pseudowork for the concept to be introduced later. [Those
who call F*ds pseudowork are confusing students. This
kind of confusion is totally unnecessary.]
Ludwik Kowalski

Ludwik, the use of "pseudowork" for anything anytime is confusing the
student. Further I don't see any case where the concept would be useful.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen