Re: Elastic potential energy (oops)

I forgot to add, that while xo is not arbitrary, F= -k(x-xo) is the form of
1dim Hooke's law for an arbitrary choice of coordinate origin.

Joel Rauber

Bob Sciamanda wrote in reply:

If I'm not mistaken, there is a minus sign error,
I get for (1dim motion along x axis, F=-k(x-xo);

This is only true if the spring is relaxed at x = xo; ie; xo is not
arbitrary.

Absolutely! I had hoped that went without saying, but
probably should have
stated it. As many have noted, one should probably not make
such unwarranted
assumptions on Phys-L :-)